Thursday, October 9, 2014

Take the stairs

Recently, my three year old accompanied me to a doctor's appointment and was disappointed that he didn't get to ride in the elevator.  While I marvel at the existence of an elevator and its fluidly smooth ride, I prefer to use my legs; an invaluable part of my own incredible machine.

For years, doctors have encouraged me to exercise regularly. Yet, with each passing year, I continue to make excuses for why I can't exercise (notably a husband's rotating work schedule and an abundance of his hours spent sleeping or away from the house) and I argue that raising small children and running a household IS exercise. (Sadly, for me, doctors do NOT think that this classifies as exercise while I remain convinced that their wives raised their children and ran their households.)

Each time that my neurological ticks, twitches and weaknesses unexpectedly present their ugly faces in my life, I suddenly feel remorseful for NOT exercising and HOPE that I didn't miss my chance to begin. Ironically, when the moment of weakness has passed and my life returns to so-called "normal" again, I am still yet to begin exercising.

WebMD reports:
Exercise is an important part of home treatment for people who have multiple sclerosis (MS). It has benefits in both early and advanced stages of the disease. Regular exercise can help you:
  • Maintain muscle strength and improve coordination.
  • Maintain and increase endurance.
  • Improve flexibility and range of limb motion.
  • Improve cardiovascular fitness.
  • Prevent pressure sores.
  • Control weight.
  • Reduce the likelihood of becoming constipated.
Exercise can also promote a sense of well-being and improve your mood.
Who doesn't want those things? WHY am I setting myself up for failure? Why am I not doing my part for the betterment of my own health?

In an attempt to add little bits of exercise to my life, I tend to park farther away from my destination so that I am forced to walk a little farther. I go up and down the stairs in my house countless times per day. From time to time, I take the bike trailer to pick my son up from kindergarten (1.4 miles, each way), towing my three year old both ways. (Thankfully, transporting only ONE CHILD in the uphill stretch.) Sometimes, we walk (or skip... because you can do that sort of thing in the presence of children) to the local library (.8 miles each way). Oftentimes, I am forced to carry at least one child for much of our journey.

Notably, whenever I am given the option of taking an escalator or elevator, I choose the stairs. These legs of mine are a gift; I'd like to get the most use out of them while I still can.

Maybe one of these days, as my children grow older and I find more time for myself, I will make the time to exercise. Hopefully, I'm not too late...



_____________________________________________
Sarah Guard was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2002 and tries to live her best life everyday. She serves as a volunteer group leader since June 2013 and served as the National MS Society Ambassador for WalkMS Dubuque in May 2014. She uses a healthy diet, the power of positive thinking and humor to enrich her daily life while chasing after her two young sons.

No comments: